Welcome to Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue!

Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue chronicles my experiences visiting independent bookstores. I share my own personal stories and travel experiences associated with each bookstore, and in the process, give readers a sense of what each bookstore has to offer.

You can browse my recent entries below, by archive in chronological order, or if you are looking for a particular store, through my label section where you find stores organized by their city of location.

---Corey

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cummings Books


Cummings Books is an excellent bookstore, located in Dinkytown, Minneapolis, just a few stores down from the Book House (reviewed in the immediately prior blog post). When I lived in Minneapolis, and I would be searching for a particular book, it would be very convenient to look in both of these stores, being so close on the same street. I actually thought that the stores might be owned by the same person, but I now doubt it.

What I liked about Cummings is that it had a very different personality than that of Book House. The books were arranged in a more orderly fashion, with nice clean rows, and from what I remember, without double-shelving. There wasn't the gigantic selection of the Book House, I believe, but I could be wrong about this. They did have a good selection as well. The aesthetics of the store were pleasing, and there were always quite a few animals in the store, cats roaming around, and a few large birds in cages (I forgot what kind). It's definitely a shame that my experience of Cummings is wrapped up in that of the Book House, because from what I remember, the store had a charm and personality (and book selection) all its own.

Cummings Books
417 14th Ave. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
(612) 331-1424

No comments:

Post a Comment