Welcome to Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue!

Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue chronicles my experiences visiting independent bookstores. I share my own personal stories and travel experiences associated with each bookstore, and in the process, give readers a sense of what each bookstore has to offer.

You can browse my recent entries below, by archive in chronological order, or if you are looking for a particular store, through my label section where you find stores organized by their city of location.

---Corey

Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Room of One's Own


My last stop on my tour of Madison's downtown indie bookstores was a Room of One's Own, a well-known Feminist bookstore just off State Street on Johnson Street. Back in the early 90s, A Room of One's Own - named after Virginia's Woolf's 1929 essay of that name - was my first experience visiting a bookstore specializing in women's and GLBT literature, and so is high on my personal list of special bookstores in the United States.

I noticed immediately upon entering the store that it had changed a great deal since the early 90s when I had last visited. In the entrance, the store provided information on events, store events and community happenings, in addition to the regular newspaper offerings found in Madison. The store itself was very well-organized, naturally containing a very well-stocked GLBT fiction and non-fiction section, a progressive magazine section, and very informational categories on progressive parenting, health, and other interesting topics. What also impressed me about the store was its very comfortable layout, mostly its wide aisles and areas with comfortable furniture where you could read the books and magazines. I looked for awhile for two authors that I might be able to find there, and even though I didn't find them, I'm sure the bookstore would've ordered them for me. In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and left with an opinion of the store even more favorable than I had previously.

A Room of One's Own Feminist Bookstore
307 W. Johnson Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
(608) 257-7888
www.roomofonesown.com

No comments:

Post a Comment