Welcome to Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue!

Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue chronicles my experiences visiting independent bookstores. I share my own personal stories and travel experiences associated with each bookstore, and in the process, give readers a sense of what each bookstore has to offer.

You can browse my recent entries below, by archive in chronological order, or if you are looking for a particular store, through my label section where you find stores organized by their city of location.

---Corey

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Paul's Bookstore


Paul's was my first indie bookstore, back when I was a freshman in college at UW-Madison. The maze-like aisles, the strong scent of thousands of used academic books, the personalized postcards and newspaper clippings on the ends of the wooden shelving, the feeling of semi-ordered chaos. I loved hanging out in Paul's, as well as Peoples' bookstore, a more left-wing variety a few blocks away.

I've been at Paul's from time to time through the years, but visiting now reminded me of my last trip there in the 90s, which was a little peculiar. I can't remember what I bought, but the cashier couldn't get my credit card to work for the longest time and said that striking it on her leg might help. Somehow it worked, and then I used that same card on gas and food on a trip to Texas. Later, in Texas, my card was canceled. I called Chase Bank, and the their representative, thought I was a thief in possession of the card. The bank was suspicious by the card moving south toward Mexico. The accusatory question I remember in the interrogation was "What happened at Paul's bookstore? Something happened at Paul's bookstore."

Paul's has the same feel, the same aesthetic. I'm sure the layout has changed, perhaps where the front counter is located, but it's incredible how a place like Paul's can keep its character through the years, as everyone who has passed through has either changed radically or simply moved away.

No comments:

Post a Comment