Welcome to Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue!

Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue chronicles my experiences visiting independent bookstores. I share my own personal stories and travel experiences associated with each bookstore, and in the process, give readers a sense of what each bookstore has to offer.

You can browse my recent entries below, by archive in chronological order, or if you are looking for a particular store, through my label section where you find stores organized by their city of location.

---Corey

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Browzers Bookshop


When visiting Paul's bookstore on my recent trip to Madison, I couldn't believe that there was another bookstore next to it! How could there be two bookstores in such close vicinity? As it turns out, once you enter the next door building, there is the Underground Textbook Exchange in the basement and Browzers on the third floor. I'm not sure how the Underground Textbook Exchange is related to Browzers above it. I assumed, probably incorrectly, that it was the same business; otherwise there are three independent bookstores in the same vicinity!

I easily found my way up to the third floor to visit Browzers; the textbook exchange in the basement was closed, I think. At the very least, it didn't seem like the elevator went to the basement. I browzed Browzers for about a half hour. The store was fairly large, well-organized, selling mostly used books. Like many newer bookstores, it had a very cool and clean feel to it. I imagine that the air-conditioner had something to do with that feel. At the counter as I checked out, I happened to see an old Shakepeare's Books sign and I asked the cashier if the store was related to the old Shakespeare's that used to be on the capitol square in the 90s. Sure enough, they had just moved, explaining the close proximity to Paul's. Turns out that the owner (the son of the original owner?, I can't remember) decided to change the name back to what it used to be called way back when. So, in case you are wondering whatever happened to Shakepeare's on the square, it is now Browsers on State.

Browzers Bookshop
668 State Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
(608) 255-5521
www.browzersbookshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment