Welcome to Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue!

Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue chronicles my experiences visiting independent bookstores. I share my own personal stories and travel experiences associated with each bookstore, and in the process, give readers a sense of what each bookstore has to offer.

You can browse my recent entries below, by archive in chronological order, or if you are looking for a particular store, through my label section where you find stores organized by their city of location.

---Corey

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Revolution Books (Chicago)


When in Chicago for the Blues Fest, I wanted to attend a progressive indie bookstore, since I never had visited one before in Chicago. The store closest to downtown, and on the "L," was the RCP party bookstore, Revolution Books. I had visited the RCP bookstore in NYC a few years back and was impressed with their political selection. From my own experience and what others have told me, I knew in advance that their members can be a little aggressive, in the way they zealously promote their organization. But, to be fair and nonsectarian, I wanted to judge by my experience at the store; afterall, I've been political before, in a progressive vein, so maybe my activity get similarly construed. Turns out that the day I decided to visit, there was a meeting that morning, before the store was to open, and so people had to decide if I would be allowed to browse or obliged to come back later. I had no problem coming back an hour later, which is what I did. Luckily there was a little coffee shop down Ashland Street where I read and had one too many coffees.

When entering the store an hour later, many RCPers were in discussion after the meeting. I talked to a few folk, got invitations to a discussion the next day on Chairman Bob's latest thinking, and browsed. Everyone was very friendly. The big difference between this store and the one in NYC was in size. The NY store was much bigger, with a huge selection. The Chicago store seemed more focused on party events and party building. One prominent bookstore worker told me that the small selection was not by choice but due to financial constraints.

Of their book selection, I thought their shelf on evolution and atheism was the best, but I couldn't buy any of these books because I was traveling light with just a backpack that was already stuffed. I bought a thin book of poetry, and to be nice, a copy of their newspaper. I have to say, though, that as a leftist myself, I don't subscribe to their camp, which automatically makes me not that interested in much of the RCP offering. But, hey, to each their own.

Revolution Books (Chicago)
1103 North Ashland Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60622
(773) 489-0930

No comments:

Post a Comment