Welcome to Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue!

Corey's Indie Bookstore Travelogue chronicles my experiences visiting independent bookstores. I share my own personal stories and travel experiences associated with each bookstore, and in the process, give readers a sense of what each bookstore has to offer.

You can browse my recent entries below, by archive in chronological order, or if you are looking for a particular store, through my label section where you find stores organized by their city of location.

---Corey

Friday, July 23, 2010

Common Good Books


Common Good Books is famous for being owned by Garrison Keillor. It is a pleasant store, specializing in new books, with a winding layout and cloistered reading areas. I haven't bought many books from the store, only because there are so many other well-deserving indie bookstores in the Twin Cities and I figured Keillor would do well with his liberal base in what feels like a gentrified, upper middle class neighborhood. That might be a little unfair characterizing it such, after all I always ended up in this neighborhood. There is a very nice coffee shop, Nina's, just above the store and I regularly met my colleagues just across the street at W.A. Frost, a very nice restaurant and bar. And, the headquarters of my old union, Saint Paul Federation of Teachers is in the same building as the bookstore, the Blair Arcade. Visiting the area, and the store, on this 2010 summer trip did bring back the memories.

Common Good Books
165 Western Avenue North
St. Paul, Minnesota, 55102
www.commongoodbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment